4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
½ t. salt
4 t. baking powder
1 ½ cups dark raisins
2 sticks (1 cup) margarine
1 cup milk
1 T. milk
1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Gradually mix in raisins so they are evenly distributed. Add margarine in small cubes and mix with fingers or pastry blender until evenly blended.
3. Whisk together eggs and milk in a small bowl. Gradually stir into flour mixture until soft dough forms; work dough with hands if necessary, but do not over work.
4. Drop scant ½ cup amounts of dough onto 2 greased baking sheets.
5. For egg wash, beat together egg and milk in a small bowl. Lightly brush each scone with wash.
6. In two batches, bake scones in 350 oven for 20-23 minutes or until golden.