Monday, April 11, 2011
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon cider vinegar or white vinegar
1 teaspoon poppy seed, if desired
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 small jicama
1/2 pint (1 cup) fresh strawberries
8 cups ready-to-eat spinach (from 9- or 10-oz bag)
1. In a tightly covered jar or container, shake all the dressing ingredients.
2. Peel the jicama, removing the brown skin and a thin layer of the flesh just under the skin. The skin can sometimes be slightly tough. Cut about half of the jicama into about 1x 1/4-inch sticks to measure about 3/4 cup. Wrap remaining jicama and refrigerate for another use.
3. Peel the kiwifruit. Cut lengthwise in half, then cut into slices. Rinse the strawberries with cool water and pat dry. Remove the leaves and cut the berries lengthwise into slices.
4. Remove and discard the stems from the spinach leaves. Rinse the leaves in cool water. Shake off excess water and blot to dry with paper towels. Tear any large leaves into bite-size pieces.
5. In a large salad bowl, place the spinach, strawberries, jicama sticks and kiwifruit slices. Shake the dressing again to mix ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, and toss with 2 large spoons or salad tongs. To keep salad crisp, serve immediately